On the 18th of July, the Berman Brothers Group (BBG) and their participating suppliers set off on a very special Mandela Day mission. Their chosen point of focus was the Napier Street branch of The Haven Night Shelter in Green Point. While the building is an important place of safety for so many people in need, the space itself required some TLC so we decided to give it an upgrade.
We began the process of overhauling the site two days prior to Mandela Day. That’s when some of the demolition work began. The kitchen had literally been gutted, the laminated flooring in the men’s and ladies’ dormitories was pulled up and the broken sanitary ware and tiles in the toilets had all been removed. But this is just the beginning of the construction work that lies ahead.
On Mandela Day itself, clothing and toiletry donations (that had collected at The Point Mall Shopping Centre) were taken through to The Haven and these donations filled the entire boardroom of their Head Office. The team quickly got to work setting up tables and gazebos (sponsored by Pick ‘n Pay) in the parking area. Further volunteers showed up and assisted with the unpacking, sorting and the display of the clothing. We created a seamless “shopping” experience for the ‘guests’ of The Haven giving them the opportunity to quickly and effectively browse through the men’s and ladies’ sections for clothing in the right sizes (the Haven refers to its homeless residents as guests and seeks to restore their dignity while giving them training and helping them find work).
Meanwhile, the other half of the BBG team started setting up the meal preparation section. Saul Berman was a brilliant braai master for the day and he made boerie rolls for everyone on site.
Loaves of bread and delicious fillings were provided by The Florestore On Trend team who also used the area to make additional sandwiches for homeless guests residing at other branches of The Haven.
There was a wonderfully festive atmosphere about the event. We had music playing, a ‘shopping’ experience to enjoy and the smell of braai vleis was in the air. Everyone was on an absolute Mandela Day high. KFM did a live crossover broadcast and shared the sentiments of those involved and invited members of the public to get involved and come down and join us on site.
The community showed their support throughout the day by bringing more clothing, food and toiletry donations as well as lending a helping hand by sorting and distributing these items. Some even got involved in construction and painting work. The Haven’s sustainable garden project which is in its beginning stages was given some much-needed attention by those volunteers who have green fingers.
To date, all internal construction work has been completed while external paving, painting and electrical fencing will be done in the coming weeks.
For a complete breakdown of the amazing contributions made by our suppliers, please see the list below:
- FLORSTORE ON TREND – Bathrooms & Dormitories flooring, sanitaryware
- MALCO JOINERY – Sponsor of materials for & installation of a brand-new kitchen
- TILETORIA – Sponsor of tiles for bathrooms, dormitories & various common areas + toilets
- CONSTRUCT PLUS – General construction works
- LO RALL – Roofing & associated construction works and rubble removal at the parking area
- GRIDCO – installation of surface bed area at the delivery yard
- MOROFF & KÜHNE – Structural Professionals design for the surface beds & steel structures
- THE POINT SHOPPING CENTRE – Clothing and toiletry donations
- CYBERSMART – Upgrade Wi-Fi system & internet setup
- CAPE AIRCONDITIONING – Ventilation systems in the men’s and ladies’ bathrooms
- WOMAG – Sponsor of granite tops for the new kitchen
- SIMPLETECH – Sponsor of a new projector, projection screen, upgrade Wi-Fi system & internet setup
- DEXION – Shelving for the kitchen, dormitories and offices
- BLUE BAY ELECTRICAL – Installation of new light fittings throughout
- LEWIS & DE KROON ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS – Electrical Consultants spearheading new electrical upgrade & compliance
- NEIL MOIR & ASSOCIATES – Rational fire design & safety, building compliance in accordance with the City of Cape Town regulations
- PICK ‘N PAY – Food and cooldrinks
- EAGLE TECHNOLOGY – CCTV upgrade & fingerprint security system
- SEA POINT NURSERY – Compost and Plants
- Laughton’s Hardware – Garden equipment
- EAGLE LIGHTING – Sponsor of new light fittings
- MULTI QS – Financial sponsor & project quantity surveyor
- UMLILO – Checked all fire detectors & fire panel – sponsor TV
- MR WASHLINE – 6 discounted Wash lines
- ERC ELECTRICAL – Electrical preparation works, wireways etc.
- CAPE TOWN STEEL – Steel posts supply & installation
- ER PLUMBERS – Installation of plumbing reticulation systems
- WALTONS – Whiteboard
- ROLLER SHUTTER SERVICES – New roller shutter door in the kitchen
- PPA SECURITY – Security guards
- LIVEWIRE – New discounted perimeter electric fencing
- KFM – On air time with Ryan O’Connor & Team
- ROME ROOFING – New roof sheets, gutters + installation
- PERFECT PAINTERS – Painters
- MIDAS – Paint sponsor
- KWIKOTCAPE – Hot water reticulation system
- HYDRATHERM – Hot water solutions encompassing solar, heat pump, gas & electric technology
- GREENABILITY – Renewable energy, solar power, water-based space heating, thermal solar to generate hot water system
- SERVEST – Sanitary Equipment
- We Are NAB – Video and photography
- Woodstock Gas – Gas reticulation
- The Doorstore – Stable door
- Watertight Waterproofing- Sponsoring of waterproofing on the social worker’s office roof
- Lead Appliances – discounted the SpeedQueen washing machine
- Plumblink – sponsorship of geyser and other related items
- Handles Inc sponsoring panic latch(es) for emergency exit doors
- BUCO – Sponsorship of miscellaneous hardware & tools
Of course, there is still quite a lot for us to do and more funding is required. We have set up a special funding page so that interested members of the public can contribute to this worthy initiative in a hassle-free way. The Berman Brothers Group firmly believes that the spirit of Mandela Day should be lived out every day. That’s why this CSI initiative has become a catalyst for a much bigger project. BBG foresees The Haven in Napier Street increasing its capacity to 300 beds which will require expanding its infrastructure and staff quotient.
Simply click on the link below:
We are challenging industry leaders and influencers to join our cause by donating their time, money and services to this life-changing endeavour.
For more information on how you can get involved, kindly contact Natasha Christensen in our Cape Town office at (021) 439 9030 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org